ASG votes to censure senator

Sophomore under review for recordings

By Jack Evans and Jake Gold, The Miami Student

At the Miami Associated Student Government (ASG) meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 4, senators voted to censure on-campus senator Nick Froehlich, citing Ohio Revised Code 2933.52, regarding the interception of wire, oral or electronic communications.

In the official recommendation for censure, the ASG oversight committee wrote that "senator Nick Froehlich admitted to knowingly recording other members of the ASG government in the ASG office without consent of these members."

The primary cited evidence was a cellphone audio recording of a conversation between Froehlich and other senators inside the ASG office.

"This offense is unprecedented," wrote the oversight committee in their recommendation. "The implications of such actions may potentially hinder the function of the Associated Student Government as a whole."

Secretary for Communications and Media Relations for ASG, Amy Berg, said that it is every member's job to hold one another accountable.

"We want to ensure that every member of ASG feels comfortable in expressing their opinions inside and outside of our Sentate meetings," Berg said.

Froehlich claims the recommendation by ASG's oversight committee is unfair.

"This is an incredible way to describe a ten second recording of my own conversation with another senator," Froehlich said. "[It] was never saved or distributed, and did not cause distress or alarm."

Instead, Froehlich believes that the oversight committee's claim is rooted in bias against him due to his controversial voting record, especially against ASG's last operating budget.

"The matter of the recording is not the primary motivation behind this [censuring], let's be clear about this," Froehlich said.

Froelich claims that mentions of other recordings cited in the oversight committee's report are unsubstantiated.

After nearly 20 minutes of debate in executive session, the ASG voted to censure Froehlich.

The ASG bylaws (specifically 502B) state that censure is reserved for cases where a member's behavior is of questionable responsibility, but not enough for dismissal, meaning Froehlich will stay on as an ASG senator.

"We thank Nick for coming before us today to defend himself," speaker of ASG senate Jack Fetick said. "We look forward to him remaining a positive member of the Associated Student Government."

At the time of publication, Miami ASG had not released the vote count for Froehlich's censure.