ASG proposal recommends limitation for daytime use of recreational tables

Among other stipulations, ASG's proposal recommends that Oxford City Council construct new legislation involving outside drinking games.

Christopher Washington

Among other stipulations, ASG's proposal recommends that Oxford City Council construct new legislation involving outside drinking games. (Michael Pickering)

Oxford Courthouse was filled with differing opinions in a four-to-three vote Tuesday night, as city council once again tabled the proposed ban on outside drinking games.

Discussion has been ongoing since the proposal was initially brought to city council Nov. 7.

The debate to table the ordinance began with a presentation from Jennifer House, Associated Student Government (ASG) secretary for off-campus affairs, outlining several proposals for a compromise with city council.

"I think this is different than all the other times (the ban was tabled)," House said. "We're at a stage where (city council is) going to look at what students have to say. We're going to work them towards our proposal - and I think we can do that."

ASG's proposal draws questions

ASG's proposal discussed creating new legislation to tackle the use of alcohol consumption in Oxford that respects the city and students. In addition, the ASG proposal discussed consistent enforcement of current ordinances already established, and encouragement of more student involvement. The proposal was modeled from existing endeavors from Colorado State University to control alcohol abuse from students.

Bobbe Burke, coordinator of Miami's Office of Off-Campus Affairs, said students still realize that the issue of outdoor drinking games is not over.

"For students, what I think they need to understand is this is still an issue," Burke said. "This is an issue that we need to face and we need to figure out how students can assist us."

In addition, ASG's proposal suggests six recommendations for city council to consider before council members vote on the ordinance again at the March 20 meeting. Of the suggested solutions, a recommendation requesting a time frame from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m., during which tables could be used in the front yard for alcohol consumption, created concern from several council members. This suggestion also stipulated that tables would be allowable in the backyard at all times.

Oxford Vice Mayor Prue Dana, who voted against tabling the ordinance, said she was impressed with House's presentation but had reservations with a time restriction used to control the visibility of tables used for alcohol consumption.

"I think that was completely unrealistic," Dana said. "You can't tell people that at 10 p.m. you can bring your tables outside. That doesn't work; it's a real double standard."

While ASG may represent Miami students, Dana said she does not think all students are on the same page as representatives of ASG.

In addition, Dana also said she was frustrated because she felt the ordinance should have been voted on Tuesday night because the issue has had sufficient time for discussion.

City Councilor Doug Ross, who also voted against tabling the ordinance, maintained his previous position regarding the image alcohol games give the city.

"I went to areas that I don't normally go and where there were beer pong tables, there was accumulated trash," Ross said.

Other concerns from council members were voiced when City Councilor Ken Bogard echoed Dana's sentiments.

"I still have some reservations about having tables in the front porch, front yard, side yard - whatever," Bogard said. "In some cases, it's unacceptable in the backyard."

With respect to the use of tables used for alcohol consumption in a backyard, Bogard said tables can still sometimes still be viewed from public thoroughfares.

Other recommendations from ASG included the creation of an alcohol task force with student representation to provide solutions regarding what students can do to reduce the alcohol problem in the community. Further suggestions from ASG asked that Miami University's Student Community Relations Committee (SCRC) collaborate with Miami's Office of Health Education to facilitate the discussion of alcohol issues and how they toll the Oxford community.

Majority of council seeks more discussion

While three of the council members felt the ordinance should have been voted on Tuesday night, the four other councilors expressed the importance of continuing discussion between students, the Oxford community and city council.

Oxford Mayor Jerome Conley said it is important to consider the expectations from both ASG and the community. Conley said while further discussion is needed to consider the city's need for a healthier image, students should also be recognized for their efforts to create a change. He also noted the possibility of other outcomes if the ordinance had been passed.

"If you do an outright ban, it might lead to worse issues like smoking and then a fire," Conley said.

City Councilor Dave Prows argued that the amendment to the current ordinance he proposed in December 2006, which allows alcohol games within the backyard, is still a better solution. According to Prows, it is more important to create an ordinance that suits the Miami and Oxford community, rather than rush to pass legislation.

"What's the hurry?" Prows asked. "That's my opinion. What's one more spring? How's that adversely going to affect a breakthrough in student and town affairs? I don't see the need for a rush. Again, we have noise violation ordinances, we have litter ordinances, we have underage ordinances, we have intoxication ordinances. We have enough tools in place to handle the problem."

Other Oxford residents agreed that ASG's proposal should be considered when voting on the ordinance. Suzanne Kostic, vice president of Candlewood Terrace Apartments, asked city council to acknowledge ASG's efforts.

"You (city council members) have the gift," Kostic said. "You have the power to build the bridge, please use it."

Since January, ASG has held several meetings to tackle the current ordinance under discussion, including an open discussion co-sponsored with SCRC Jan. 29, which allowed attendees to voice opinions regarding methods to make the community more inclusive.

Furthermore, weekly meetings are held with the Oxford Tenants Organization where problems with the ordinance are also discussed.

In addition, Student Body President Brian Alexander during his state of the student body address Jan. 30 challenged students to change their drinking behavior.

Looking at the Miami drinking culture in the coming weeks, Dana challenged students to present themselves differently, rather than behave as students have in past years, during events such as Green Beer Day.

The proposed ordinance will be discussed again at Oxford City Council's March 20 meeting.