ASG nominates senators for 'Senator of the Month'

Kathleen Clyburn, For the Miami Student

The Associated Student Government (ASG) met Tuesday to discuss Senator of the Month, news on food courts and alcohol policies and to celebrate Halloween with a costume contest. 

President of the Senate senior Nick Miller spoke about Senator of the Month.

"This is an award given to a senator that is living up to expectations or even going above and beyond expectations," Miller said. 

Senators Liz Beumel, Nicole Anselmo, Max Smith, Candace Dove, Michael Vostatek, Tyler Bewley, Ty Guyot, Colleen Ryan and Noah Caldwell were all nominated for the award, which will be voted on at a later meeting. 

Senior Secretary for On-Campus Affairs Cole Tyman announced that the first stop at the Maple Street food court will now be open on the weekends thanks to concerns that senators reported, including those of first-year senator Anselmo

"It will be open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. so you can have a nice brunch or brinner," Tyman said. 

Tyman also announced there will be new alcohol policies at Miami that may be more amiable to students. 

"Courtney Bernard and I have been working on some alcohol policies," Tyman said. "Two weeks ago we had a conversation with the co-student body president at Stanford University. Stanford is highly progressive with their policies. The first thing I will be working on is that I am preparing a bill concerning the policy of bringing students to Butler County jail, personally I find this to be a bit harsh." 

Senate concluded with a costume contest which included Vostatek as Toy Story's Woody, Ty Guyot as Dumbledore and Steve Bowersox as the Batman, among others. 

"I'm Batman because I'm the senator that ASG deserves," Bowersox said. 

Senate Adviser Scott Walter chose Guyot as Dumbledore as the winner of the contest.