ASG elects new Cabinet members

Jennifer N. Stewart

Associated Student Government (ASG) elected junior Olivia Dolan as secretary for public relations and sophomore Matthew Ciccone as secretary for off-campus affairs for the 2009-10 academic year.

Each candidate presented a two-minute speech to ASG senate members followed by questions and answers.

Dolan, a speech communication and international studies double major, is a member of the Pi Sigma Epsilon business fraternity's public relations committee and the ASG communication committee. Dolan was also the public relations director for the McNabb, Harris and Ferguson campaign.

Dolan said she was satisfied knowing she had put together a solid campaign.

"It's impossible to explain such a great feeling," Dolan said.

Dolan said she decided to run for the position because she has had a lot of public relations experience in her past.

The secretary of public relations works in the areas of communication and publicity for ASG.

"I'm here to communicate between students, senate and cabinet," Dolan said.

Although it was hard for Dolan to pin down her first initiative, she said she wants to focus on recruiting on-campus senators at the start of her term. Dolan said she wants to enhance the position including reorganizing the ASG communication committee and creating an ASG newsletter.

"I want to take this position to a new level," Dolan said.

Dolan's biggest concern is making sure students are comfortable enough with their senators to reach out to them in times of need.

Dolan has lived both on-campus and off-campus, which she said sets her apart from the other candidates: Matthew Forrest, current secretary for on-campus affairs, and Ryan Spence, commuter senator.

Ciccone, a physics major, is captain of the Miami Mock Trial Team, Internal Vice President of Chi Psi Fraternity and a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. He was involved in planning the "Basketbrawl" and "Stuff the Bus," philanthropies on campus.

Ciccone defeated sophomore Rachelle Boff and junior senator Aaron Bly for the position.

Secretary for off-campus affairs serves as the human-link between ASG and the Oxford City Council, Oxford City Chamber of Commerce and Oxford Police Department. Ciccone will also organize the Oxford Tenants Organization (OTO), an organization that helps connect the Oxford and Miami communities.

Ciccone said he is excited to have both won this election and to see the newly elected members of cabinet come together.

According to Ciccone, his first plan is to play a role in the off-campus senator's elections by making sure each candidate is prepared to take on his or her role seriously.

The biggest concern Ciccone said he would like to address is familiarizing off-campus senators with their constituents.

"It's a tough task trying to start this relationship" Ciccone said.

At first Ciccone said he was thinking of running for an off-campus senator position to introduce himself with ASG until he heard students outside ASG could run.

"I figured I'd give it a shot," Ciccone said.

According to Ciccone, researching ASG legislation and bylaws and meeting with as many individuals as possible put him ahead of the other candidates.

As a new member to ASG, Ciccone said he plans to be as visible as possible.

ASG also approved sophomore Lidija Gnjatic to be secretary to the executive cabinet and sophomore Randi Keefer as secretary for on-campus affairs for the 2009-10 academic year.