ASG backs alcohol sales at Miami athletic events

Bill calls for the investigation into alcohol sales at Millett, Goggin and Yager

By Deanna Krokos, For The Miami Student

This Tuesday, the Miami University Associated Student Government (ASG) approved a resolution calling for a university investigation of alcohol sales at athletic events.

Student Body President Cole Tyman, secretary for Off-Campus Affairs Kevin Krumpak and Senator Patrick McFadden authored the bill. The bill puts the formal support of the Associated Student Government behind a university investigation to discover if the implementation of an alcohol sales policy at athletic events would be a realistic and beneficial venture.

"We've been talking about strategies to create a better environment around drinking on this campus," Tyman said. "In my opinion, in order to do that, we need to give students a venue"

The bill notes that an alcohol policy could provide Miami students with a "more moderate alternative for consumption than those available at Uptown bars." In the scenario backed by this legislation, students 21 and older would be able to purchase alcohol at Miami athletic events in Millett, Goggin Arena and Yager Stadium.

The proposal may have Miami students skeptical after the issues that arose last semester in regards to alcohol-related issues during tailgating at Yager stadium. The administration has consistently forbidden any alcohol related activities during athletic events outside the donor's Red and White club tent at Yager stadium. The legislation considers the possibility that allowing alcohol sales could have a positive effect on attendance.

"We should provide a venue where students can do that safely, legally and responsibly," Tyman said.

The idea of alcohol sales in general seating areas isn't uncommon. Several Ohio Division 1 schools have enacted similar policies to the one proposed by this legislation. Since 2009, the University of Toledo, Bowling Green University, Kent State University and the University of Akron have all implemented these policies.

"If they treat us like adults, I think we might be able to surprise the administration," Tyman said.

One of the requirements of a Division 1 team is that home football attendance has to total at least 15,000. Miami's attendance for 2014 fell just below 16,000. ASG believes an alcohol sales policy could have a positive impact on game day attendance.

"I would love to talk to the same people who are at [Uptown bars] all the time and have them come to a football game," Tyman said."We can't say for sure that this is going to increase attendance, but it can't hurt."