ASG and MU work to improve student safety

By Kelly Higginson, Senior Staff Writer

Associated Student Government (ASG) senators created a resolution last Tuesday, Oct. 7 in response to Miami's removal of the crosswalk on Western College Drive and South Patterson.

Currently, Western College Drive and South Patterson has no sign directing foot or car traffic. First-year and First District Senator Patrick McFadden decided to take action and draft a bill to have the crosswalk placed back at the Western entrance after many students had voiced complaints of "cars flying by."

"People were crossing Patterson and Shriver parking lots where the crosswalk used to be and cars were just flying by," McFadden said. "I saw a kid almost get hit and I thought 'wow, this needs to be fixed.'"

McFadden approached Secretary for On-Campus Affairs Maggie Reilly to investigate the lack of crosswalk for the area.

Lieutenant Ben Spilman told the senators that a Miami professor was crossing the entrance of Western College Drive and Shriver Parking lot when she was hit by a speeding car. This resulted in Miami taking out the crosswalk sign in hopes that it would stop students from crossing at the busy area.

"She lived, but had to be flown to the hospital, which led to the university thinking that the crosswalk was too close to the intersection and they removed it," McFadden said.

Since the accident, Miami has lowered the speed limit by 10 mph to 25 mph, but nothing has stopped the students from crossing the car heavy area. According to McFadden and Reilly there is still much more work to be done for the student safety, which is why they created the Crosswalk Resolution.

"Whether it be putting in new signs, this Crosswalk Resolution is a more formal way of saying to the university that this is a problem on our mind and they should do something to change it," Reilly said.

McFadden hopes that the resolution will show Miami University's Transportation and Parking services that students are still crossing just as much in that area and they need to make a further change towards safety.

"They don't even have a speed limit sign in that area right now, it's down the road and drivers still fly by even at 25 mph," McFadden said. "I think it could be lowered even further."

According to the resolution, ASG is asking Miami to investigate the implementation of further safety precautions, such as a decrease in the speed limit and the implementation of pedestrian safety signs in the area and others on campus, as well.

"It's the first semester that it is gone and people have already voiced complaints," Reilly said. "There needs to be a way that it can be safer, whether that be new signs or lowering the speed limit."

McFadden said he hopes Miami responds to the Crosswalk Resolution to this are in particular along with other heavy foot trafficked areas as soon as possible.

"I think Miami will contact us and then as a committee we will bring it back to Senate to brainstorm and implement the changes," Reilly said.

McFadden finished the resolution by asking Miami to investigate the implementation of further safety precautions, not only at this particular area, but also at crosswalks throughout the campus that may jeopardize the safety of Miami's staff and student body.