Art museum invites students to show off

Kyle Hayden, For The Miami Student

The Miami University Art Museum is hosting an exhibition opportunity for students to have their artwork shown in the university's own art museum during the spring semester.

Works submitted to the show should be "reflective, reactive or explanatory" of the 2013 summer reading book "Reality is Broken," authored by Jane McGonigal.

Jason Shaiman, curator of shows at the museum, explained why the department decided to host a show featuring works responding to a specific text.

"It's all about videogaming and what we apply to the collaborations, the roles and participants in problem solving and how that essential understanding practice can be applied to life and not just video games," Shaiman said.

Shaiman decided after the Department of Art requested the extension of the use of the book through the next semester, he decided to hold the call for entries regarding "Reality is Broken."

Any medium and size is accepted, though there may be maximum size limits as space allows. The entrant is also required to be a student of the school. The works will be submitted to a selection committee, according to Shaiman.

"It's a collaboration between the students, the museum and the faculty," Shaiman said. "We're trying to find ways to connect with students. It doesn't always have to be that they come to the art museum on an assignment."

Shaiman also said he encourages collaboration, even between faculty and students, on works for the show. Students can submit up to three works and have up to all three works in the show.

"It depends on largely the quantity of submissions, " Shaiman said. "The approach the students take is entirely up to them."

One student is taking the opportunity to expand upon work he believes already coincides with McGonigal's writing. First-year graduate student Greg Loring of Cincinnati may construct a new piece or enter one of his current pieces into the show.

"I just did a little bit of research on McGonigal and I realized we were having the same conversations," Loring said. "I really like the ideas she is focusing on, some of the positive qualities."

He said he agrees with McGonigal that video gaming and the Internet can improve the quality of life and better humanity through applying the same concepts utilized in video gaming to other aspects of life.

"My work in the past and moving forward tends to deal with our relationships with multi-media that can become sub-realities or alternate realities." Loring said.

The deadline for entries is Nov. 22. All students interested in creating a piece for consideration should contact Shaiman at (513) 529-2241 or at shaimaje@miamioh.edu to receive a copy of "Reality is Broken".