Alumni Weekend is one for the books

Hannah Poturalski

(Catherine Couretas)

Miami University has broken a world record and once it's confirmed by Guinness World Records, it will be in the books.

During Alumni Weekend Saturday, 1,087 couples renewed their wedding vows near the Upham Arch, setting a new record for the highest number of wedding vow renewals at once.

The old record stood at 624 couples.

Brad Bundy, associate vice president for university advancement, said last week that preparations were going well and automated voice messages were sent out to alumni reminding them to join what was called the "Miami Merger Moment".

Throughout last week, faxes of marriage certificates flooded the offices inside Murstein Alumni Center, said Jennifer Clark, director of alumni membership and marketing.

"Faxes flew off the machine, we had someone constantly refilling it with paper," Clark said.

Couples that renewed their vows Saturday had to fax or bring a copy of their marriage certificate with them to show proof of the marriage, a stipulation set by Guinness.

The ceremony began with six men of the Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) marching to create a traditional arch of swords.

Stephanie Hieber (formerly Reid), half of the newest Miami Merger, was driven to the arch in a black Ford Model T.

While the trumpet played, Stephanie and Nick Hieber, both from the class of 2009, who married Friday in the Sesquicentennial Chapel, started the ceremony by signing their marriage vows.

Oxford Mayor Prue Dana officiated the ceremony for the more than one thousand couples.

Couples given special recognition included President David Hodge and his wife Valerie, as well as Bob and June Frame, Miami's oldest Merger.

"It made Alumni Weekend special for the Bicentennial year," Clark said. "It was so wonderful to see so many Miamians."

Among those that renewed vows were Miami Mergers, Miami Acquisitions (alumni married to non-alumni), Miami faculty, parents and friends.

Clark said when it came time for everyone to kiss, David and Valerie Hodge did a countdown and students in the upper level floors of Upham Hall released red and white confetti.

Clark said Stephanie Hieber was the only woman in a wedding dress, while some women wore their original wedding veils. Clark did see one man wearing a tuxedo and red tie.

Before the ceremony began, Kroger passed out 200 carnations, Fabulous Bridal Boutique supplied members of the crowd with wedding bubbles, and Carillon Catering passed out munchies in the form of cupcakes. Every couple received a $10-off coupon for a stay at Marcum Conference Center and Miami Inn. They also held a contest for one couple to receive a free weekend stay at Miami.

"It was arguably the highlight of Alumni Weekend," Bundy said. "It was the largest gathering of alumni ever."

Bundy is also a Miami Merger and contributed to breaking the world record.

"It was a really cool, great moment," Bundy said.

Merger Moment T-shirts were also sold this weekend. Clark said they didn't know how many people to anticipate and all 500 were sold-out. E-mails will be sent to the alumni who participated in the event to see if they are still interested in a T-shirt.

Clark said it will take several months for Guinness to confirm the record-breaking event.

To view almost 300 photographs of the event visit www.miamialum.org.

(Catherine Couretas)

(Catherine Couretas)