Alt-right fliers hit Miami's campus

Blog posts white-supremacist podcasts, articles

By James Steinbauer, Editor-in-Chief

Dozens of fliers promoting a pro-white, alt-right blog were pegged to bulletin boards in academic buildings and posted around Miami University's campus last week.

The fliers read: "Not seeing the America you want? Start changing it TODAY!" and "Tired of anti-white propaganda in college? You are not alone." In one of the fliers, black hands labeled "BLM," "feminism," "LGBT" and "globalism" reach menacingly for a white man and woman, each holding a young child.

The fliers include the web address for The Right Stuff, a self-described "political and cultural blog" that is home to "the edgiest podcast of the current year." The podcast, titled "The Daily Shoah," was banned from SoundCloud in November 2015 after the online audio platform claimed it violated the website's Community Guidelines.

Shoah is the Hebrew word for the Holocaust.

Many of the podcasts on the website, which are recorded by two anonymous figures named Seventh Son and Halberstram, promote white-supremacist, racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-Semitic dialogue.

Student-run political organizations on Miami's campus were quick to condemn the alt-right group's message.

"Pointing out facts about how minorities are treated in a systematically abusive manner -- be it the gender/racial pay gap, police violence, mass incarceration, or any number of institutional injustices -- is not 'anti-white propaganda,'" Miami University's College Democrats wrote in a statement to The Miami Student last Monday. "It is the truth."

Alexander Carey, chair of Miami's College Republicans, said the fliers represent only an isolated group of individuals attempting to divide the country.

"The alt-right literature ... is inappropriate and runs counter to the values that we as College Republicans and as Miami students hold dear," Cary wrote to The Student. "It divides students, encourages close-mindedness and exacerbates divisions on campus."

The hard-to-define alt-right went relatively unnoticed until the 2016 presidential election. But since Donald Trump won the presidency, its members have become emboldened and more vocal.

At an alt-right conference on Monday just blocks away from the White House in Washington D.C., audience members stretched out their arms in a Nazi salute.

John Digiacobbe, a member of Turning Point USA, a conservative political organization on Miami's campus, said one tactic of the alt-right is to be purposefully antagonistic and provocative.

"I think in some regards, there are merits to their frustration. These are things that need to be talked about," Digiacobbe said. "But, using alienating messages, being rude to other groups of people just for the sake of being rude and discussing anti-Semitism should not be welcome on this campus."