Admissions renovations to conclude by month's end

Natalie McKerjee, Senior Staff Writer

While Miami University students were enjoying their winter break, the Office of Admission began renovations.

The renovations include interior painting, carpeting, accent lighting, public restroom tile and fixtures, new furniture, additional lobby seating and new auditorium chairs, according to Ted Christian, the project's architect and manager.

Christian said the renovations are on schedule and will contribute to Miami's continued efforts to attract quality students.

"Making a good impression on a potential student and their family is an important first step in attracting the best and brightest to Miami," Christian said.

According to Christian, the internal improvements cost approximately $130,000, which is funded by a pool of money budgeted for contingency repairs and replacement projects for education and general buildings.

Meredith Smith, assistant director to the Office of Admission, said the initial experience for a prospective Miami student is influential and the new look will give the admission office a needed makeover.

"Many times, admission is the first place a student will see on a college campus, and we want the office to have an updated, welcoming and friendly look and feel," Smith said. "The renovations will provide a fresher look to the Office of Admission."

According to Smith, additional lobby seating and new auditorium chairs will contribute to the comfort for prospective students.

"We want to invest in the experience that students and their families will have on campus," she said. "We believe these renovations are moving us forward in providing a positive and welcoming atmosphere for our visitors."

Tours will continue throughout the renovation process, which is expected to be completed by Jan. 28, Christian said.