Admission office gets facelift

The outside of the Office of Admission is undergoing construction as well as the inside.

Amelia Carpenter, Campus Editor

The outside of the Office of Admission is undergoing construction as well as the inside. (SCOTT ALLISON | The Miami Student)

Prospective Miami University students and their families are expected to walk into a newly renovated admissions office in the new year.

The Office of Admission lobby, reception, auditorium and living room areas will be repainted and new artwork featuring different aspects of Miami will hang on the walls, according to Assistant Director of Admissions Meredith Smith. New furniture, carpeting, lighting fixtures and auditorium chairs will also be a part of the update, Smith said.

"It's been a number of years since (the office) has been updated," she said. "We're making sure we do everything we can to enhance the campus visit."

Smith said because of the relatively low registration numbers for campus tours during the winter months due to cold weather, holidays and lack of travel, winter break is an optimal time for the changes.

Campus tours are 90 minutes long every weekday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and at 10 a.m. on Saturday.

For the week of Dec. 6, approximately 20 to 25 people registered for morning tours, Smith said.

That week, tours will be given Monday, Tuesday and Friday mornings, with no afternoon tours offered to allow for the renovations.

Tour guides will be available to answer questions and tour campus in the mornings those days, and admission counselors will be available during the day, according to Smith.

Tours are never held during final exam week so tour guides have adequate time to prepare.

Smith said because the semester is finished and students are not in session, the five-week period that is winter break allows renovations to happen smoothly and to be finished by the first day of spring semester 2011.

Financial information, design details and whether the renovation will be done through the university or by an outside contractor was unknown at the time of publication.

Additional reporting by Molly Dobbins